Summary of Art Opportunities:
- Indoor and Outdoor Sculptures
- Suspended Sculptures/Mobiles
- Original Works of art in all media
- Digital Artists or Fine Artists who can design quarter scale imagery for large-scale environmental graphics, based on a theme
Description of the Project
UCI Health is writing the next chapter of healthcare in Orange County.UCI Health — Irvine, a $1.3 billion medical complex under construction in Irvine, will be home to a 144-bed acute care hospital and emergency department. It will also feature the Joe C. Wen & Family Center for Advanced Care and the Chao Family Comprehensive Cancer Center and Ambulatory Care building. These buildings will open in the spring and summer of 2024, with the hospital to follow in late 2025. The 27.5-acre campus will be the nation’s first all-electric medical center and it is designed to promote health and healing in a natural landscape. Aesthetics, Inc. (art consultant) is compiling a catalogue of eligible artists living or working in counties of Southern California (Orange, Los Angeles, Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo, Ventura, Imperial, Kern, San Bernardino, Riverside, San Diego). Artists who work in various media to be considered for future commissions of artwork and whose artwork represents the criteria listed in this CFA will be selected for future commissions.
Aesthetics, Inc. is looking for original artwork in a wide variety of media including sculpture, two-dimensional and three-dimensional artwork, oil, watercolor, and acrylic paintings, mixed media art, glass, mosaics, wall sculpture, fabric art and collages. Existing artwork that meet the size and price requirements and commissioned artwork will be considered. Art will be placed in the gardens, lobbies, entrances, waiting areas, corridors, conference rooms, administrative and staff areas.
Please consider that we are inspiring patients, visitors and staff of all ages, genders and ethnicities. Inventive, uplifting, yet calming works are encouraged. All artwork should be safe to touch, sturdy and made of non-toxic materials. Subject matter that reflects Southern California, Orange County community is encouraged.
As part of our commitment to advance diversity and inclusion in the field of arts in health, we aim to amplify traditionally underrepresented voices. Applicants are encouraged to share if they identify with one or more historically marginalized groups (examples include but are not limited to Immigrant, Indigenous, International, LGBTQIA, Person of Color, Person with a Disability, Person of Size, Socioeconomic Disadvantage). Aesthetics, Inc. encourages applicants who come from one or more of these historically marginalized populations. If you feel comfortable, please share how you represent diversity in one or more of these areas.
Please include either professional photographs of your artwork or images of individual works that can be purchased and/or installation or exhibition images that feature your work. Please note; this Call for Artists asks for applications to include a selected portfolio of artists’ existing work, and not new designs or models created specifically for this project.
- To develop an arts program based on the latest evidence-based research and methodologies that support the healing process
- To craft an arts program that draws upon and reflects the artistic talent of Southern California
- To engage with community partners, where appropriate
- To create an arts program that celebrates the beauty of the ecosystems, bio-diversity and excellence of Orange County
- To create an arts program that is innovative, caring, compassionate and unique
- To create an arts program that reflects the diversity of the communities which UCI Health serves
- To install and manage all artwork in a manner that preserves the artwork
Criteria used to select artists for commissions will be:
- Quality, creativity and strength of artwork concepts and workmanship as evidenced in images of past work and a professional resume
- Ability to demonstrate the creativity and style that will support the guiding principles of the art program and support the desired population
- Technical competence as evidenced by images of past work and a professional resume
- Aptitude for planning, budgeting and individually working on teams as evidenced by a professional resume and professional references
- Experienced and can demonstrate aptitude for working on art projects collaboratively with design team and stakeholders
- Accessible to appropriate technology (email/drop box) for communicating efficiently and effectively
- Flora and fauna of the different ecosystems (e.g., the marsh, the ocean, the chaparral)
- Parks of Southern California (e.g., Irvine Regional Park, Orange County Great Park, Heisler Park, Casper Park, Laguna Coast Wilderness Park)
- Beaches and Piers (e.g., Long Beach, Laguna Beach, Huntington Beach, Newport Beach)
- Missions (e.g., San Juan Capistrano, San Luis Rey, San Gabriel)
- The Urban Edge in Orange County
- Outdoor activities that celebrate and promote health and wellness in our local southern California environments
- The Healing Power of Social Connection - Connecting to different Cultures and Historic Traditions
- People in different neighborhoods - community celebrations, gatherings, community gardens
- People connecting at work and family gatherings
- People connecting through different sports/activities - all abilities, all generations, multicultural
- People connecting through the arts - visual, performing, participatory
- People enjoying nature together - camping, sailing, hiking, etc.
- People and their special connection to animals - pets, farm animals, etc.
Category A. Indoor and Outdoor Sculptures – between $5,000 and $50,000 each
Category B. Suspended Sculptures/Mobiles– between $15,000 and $50,000 each
Category C. Original Works of Art in all media (3' x 4' – 4' x 5')– between $3,000 and $5,000 each (unframed)
Category D. Original Works of Art in all media (4' x 6' – 4' x 10')– between $6,000 and $10,000 each (unframed)
Category E. Digital Artists or Fine Artists who can create successful quarter scale imagery for large scale areas based on a theme – between $1,500 and $5,000. Artwork/graphics will be printed on a variety of different appropriate healthcare materials.
This is a multiphase project. Many of the public spaces will be commissioned in 2023 and 2024 as part of new construction.
The actual fee for commission or price for purchase will not exceed the wholesale price customarily charged by the artist for similar artworks when sold through a gallery.
For all questions concerning this Call for Artists, please contact Pam Nickell at Aesthetics, Inc. at firstname.lastname@example.org.
OTHER TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Aesthetics, Inc. is not obligated to notify artists when incomplete entries are received. Incomplete entries will not be reviewed. Any individual or professional artist, who was born, resides or works in California, is eligible to apply. Artists working in all mediums may apply.
By submitting to this Call for Artists, you (Artist) agree to the following Terms and Conditions:
Responsibility for Submittals: Although we will make every effort to protect the materials you submit, Aesthetics, Inc. is not responsible for the loss or damage of any submittal materials submitted.
CFA Revision: Aesthetics, Inc. reserves the right to revise this CFA, including, but not limited to, the submittal due date, the number of artists accepted, the timeline, the art budget, and the selection criteria at any time within its sole discretion.
Responsibility for Submittal Costs: Aesthetics, Inc. is not liable for any cost incurred by any person responding to this CFA. The applicant is fully responsible for all submittal costs. Aesthetics, Inc. does not assume any contractual or financial obligation as a result of the issuance of this CFA, the preparation and submittal of a submittal by a respondent, the evaluation of an accepted submittal, or the selection of finalists.
Submittal Acceptance/Rejection: Aesthetics, Inc., at its sole discretion, reserves the right to reject any or all submittals received and to accept or reject any or all of the items in the submittal. Aesthetics, Inc. reserves the right to negotiate with any respondent after submittals are opened, if such action is deemed to be in best interest. Aesthetics, Inc. acceptance and review of a submittal and/or submitted artwork concept, or artwork design does not constitute a commitment to award a commission to any artist or team.
Decline to Award: Aesthetics, Inc., at its sole discretion, reserves the right to not award the commission to any artist (or artist team) due to inappropriateness of art.